بودكاست التاريخ

سانجامون الأول - التاريخ

سانجامون الأول - التاريخ

سنجامون الأول

(Mon: dp. 1،875، 1. 200 '، b. 46'، dph. 12'6 "dr. 10'6"
س. 7 ك. (des.) ؛ cpl. 75 ؛ أ. 1 15 "D. sb ، 1 ؛ 1" D. sb. ، cl. باسيك)

تم وضع أول شاشة Sangamon ، من فئة Passaic التي صممها John Ericsson ، تحت اسم Conestoga في صيف عام 1862 ؛ أعيدت تسميته إلى Sangamon في 9 سبتمبر 1862 ؛ تم إطلاقه في 27 أكتوبر 1862 ، وتم تكليفه في 9 فبراير 1863 في تشيستر ، بنسلفانيا. بيرس كروسبي في القيادة.

تم تعيين جهاز المراقبة في سرب شمال الأطلسي الحصار وسرعان ما بدأ عمليات فعالة ولكن غير مدهشة في طريق هامبتون رودز وفي الأنهار الموازية تقريبًا التي تستنزف مياه المد في فيرجينيا وتفرغ في خليج تشيسابيك. كانت Sangamon واحدة من السفن الحيوية للبحرية التي ضمنت سيطرة جيش الاتحاد على المياه التي تحد وتخترق الأرض المتنازع عليها بشدة والتي تفصل بين واشنطن وريتشموند.

بعد الإصلاحات في فيلادلفيا في 21 فبراير 1864 ، تم سحبها من قبل واتشوستس إلى بورت رويال ، S.

قام Sangamon بواجبات متنوعة على نطاق واسع. قامت ببعثات استكشافية فوق النهر للحصول على معلومات ، وغالبًا ما تبارز القوات الجنوبية المختبئة على طول الضفاف. قامت بحراسة تجمعات قوات الاتحاد وخدمت كجزء من القوة البحرية للاتحاد التي قامت بدوريات في أعالي جيمس لمنع أسطول الكونفدرالية من تهديد وسائل النقل التابعة للاتحاد

في أوائل أبريل 1865 ، خلال التوغل النهائي في ريتشموند ، ساعدت في تطهير نهر الطوربيدات الكونفدرالية حتى يتمكن شحن الاتحاد من المضي قدمًا بأمان إلى العاصمة الكونفدرالية.

بعد انتهاء الحرب ، تم سحب Sangamon من الخدمة في فيلادلفيا ووضعها في الاحتياط. لم يتم العثور على أي سجل لأي خدمة نشطة لاحقة حتى تم إعادة تكليفها في 13 مايو 1898 للخدمة خلال الحرب الإسبانية الأمريكية. الشاشة القديمة كانت متمركزة في جزيرة فيشر ، لونغ آيلاند. في عام 1899 ، عادت للحجز في جزيرة ليغ ، بنسلفانيا ، وبقيت هناك حتى بيعت في عام 1905.


ساعات هيريتيج أمريكان

289.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $349.00

289.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $349.00

299.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $349.00

299.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $349.00

329.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $349.00

مجموعة نهر لينكولن و # 39

ساعة أوتوماتيكية مستوحاة من مغامرات Young Abe & # 39 على نهر Sangamon في عام 1831

379.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $429.00

389.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $429.00

389.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $429.00

نهر لينكولن - فضية ذهبية

379.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $429.00

نهر لينكولن - بني ذهبي

379.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $429.00

مجموعة كلارا هارلو بارتون

ساعة كوارتز تكرم أحد أعظم العاملين في المجال الإنساني في أمريكا

كلارا هارلو بارتون - أزرق

179.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $189.00

كلارا هارلو بارتون - روز جولد

كلارا هارلو بارتون - سمك السلمون

179.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $189.00

كلارا هارلو بارتون - أسود

169.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $189.00

كلارا هارلو بارتون - ذهب

169.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $189.00

مجموعة شاطئ أوماها

ساعة كوارتز مستوحاة من الجنود الشجعان الذين قاتلوا من أجل الحرية خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية

189.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $229.00

189.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $229.00

199.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $229.00

199.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $229.00

199.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $229.00

199.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $229.00

199.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $229.00

199.00 دولارًا السعر العادي $229.00


مجموعة التاريخ الشفوي

افتتح مكتب التاريخ الشفوي في جامعة ولاية سانجامون تحت إشراف كولوم ديفيس في عام 1971 وأغلق في صيف عام 1991. وجمع الطلاب في فصول التاريخ الشفوي لديفيز العديد من المذكرات ، كما فعل عدد من المتطوعين ، ولكن الموظفين الممولين بمنحة أنشأوا أيضًا عدة سلسلة من المذكرات ، ولا سيما المقابلات مع عمال مناجم الفحم والشخصيات السياسية في إلينوي. في حين أن العديد من مناطق الولايات المتحدة والعديد من الدول الأخرى ممثلة في المجموعة ، فإن حياة معظم الرواة تتركز في سبرينغفيلد ووسط إلينوي. ساهمت التبرعات بالمواد من الأفراد والمؤسسات ، مثل "River Tapes" لجون Knoepfle وسلسلة مشروع Adlai Stevenson التابع لجامعة كولومبيا ومعهد شؤون البلدان الأمريكية ، في إثراء المجموعة بشكل كبير.

تم نقل معظم الأشرطة والمذكرات والملفات الجانبية المكونة لمجموعة المكتب إلى أرشيف معهد اليونسكو للإحصاء في 1990-1991. عندما تم استلامها من قبل الأرشيف ، تألفت المجموعة من 1135 مقابلة على 2960 ساعة من الشريط الصوتي ، و 97165 صفحة مكتوبة. خلال عشرين عامًا من وجوده ، جمع المكتب مذكرات لمجموعة رائعة من الأشخاص بما في ذلك: عمال مناجم الفحم من الأمريكيين من أصل أفريقي ، والإيطاليين الأمريكيين ، واليهود ، والمجتمعات العرقية الأخرى في وحول سبرينغفيلد إلينوي المشرعين والسياسيين عائلات المزرعة الحرب العالمية الثانية المعترضون على الخدمة العسكرية بدافع الضمير وأسرى الحرب أعضاء في كنائس سبرينغفيلد ونوادي المعلمين في المدارس الريفية ذات الغرفة الواحدة وغيرها الكثير. تعد المجموعة سجلًا حيويًا للحياة في إلينوي وما بعدها من أواخر القرن التاسع عشر حتى الوقت الحاضر ، وهي تحافظ على ذكريات العديد من الأفراد الذين لن يتم تسجيل تجاربهم لولا ذلك.


سانجامون الأول - التاريخ

أين وكيف تجدنا

لا يوجد لدى جمعية مقاطعة سانجامون التاريخية مكتب مادي (إلا إذا كنت تفكر في صندوق بريد هو مكتب ، لكن هذا سيكون ضيقًا جدًا). باستثناء تجربة قصيرة منذ عدة سنوات ، بفضل التكنولوجيا الحديثة ، لم نكن بحاجة إلى مكان لتخزين مكتب ، ورفوف معاطف ، وخزائن لحفظ الملفات. نحن نستخدم مكتب البريد والإنترنت والهاتف المحمول كوسائل اتصال أساسية لدينا.

يمكن العثور على الوثائق التاريخية المهمة ومنشوراتنا في مجموعة Sangamon Valley Collection في مكتبة Lincoln's City of Springfield's ، 326 Seventh Street ، والتي ساعدنا في إنشائها في السبعينيات وما زلنا ندعمها. تحتل جزءًا كبيرًا من مبنى المكتبة وهو منجم ذهب للمعلومات حول مقاطعة Sangamon وسكانها.

إذا كنت تبحث عن معلومات حول موضوعات محددة ، فتأكد من مراجعة موسوعتنا عبر الإنترنت والتي يمكن البحث فيها عن تاريخ مقاطعة سانجامون ، SangamonLink.org ، الذي يتم تحديثه وتوسيعه باستمرار. يمكنك أيضًا عرض النسخ الحالية والمؤرشفة من رسالتنا الإخبارية الشهرية حسب السنة بالذهاب إلى هيستوريكو.


كيف تصل إلينا عن طريق البريد:
عنوان البريد الإلكتروني الخاص بنا هو:
جمعية مقاطعة سانجامون التاريخية
ب 9744
سبرينغفيلد ، إلينوي 62791-9744

عنوان البريد الإلكتروني الخاص بنا هو:
[email protected]
جميع مراسلات البريد الإلكتروني إلى الجمعية ،
يمكن توجيه مسؤوليها ورؤساء اللجان إلى هذا العنوان.

.. وعن طريق الهاتف:
رقم هاتفنا هو
217-525-1961

نرحب بكم في موقعنا الاجتماعات

لاحظ أننا لا نعقد اجتماعات شخصية في المستقبل المنظور بسبب COVID19.

تعقد الجمعية اجتماعات برنامج منتظمة في ثالث ثلاثاء من كل شهر ، من سبتمبر إلى يونيو. يأخذ استراحة من البرامج في ديسمبر (عندما يجتمع عادة لحفلة عطلة) وفي يوليو وأغسطس. معظم الاجتماعات مجانية ومفتوحة للجمهور وتبدأ في الساعة 5:30 مساءً. في غرفة كارنيجي الشمالية بمكتبة لينكولن بمدينة سبرينجفيلد ، 326 شارع سيفينث ، سبرينجفيلد. يتوفر موقف مجاني للسيارات تحت الأرض بعد الساعة 5 مساءً. أو يمكنك الوقوف في الشارع. كما تقدم الجمعية جولات متخصصة للمواقع التاريخية في المنطقة. في بعض الحالات ، قد يحد ذلك من عدد الزوار الذين يمكن للموقع التعامل معهم ، مما يتطلب منا تقديمها كحدث للأعضاء فقط يتطلب التسجيل المسبق عبر الإنترنت أو عبر الهاتف. تتطلب الأحداث الخاصة مثل Holiday Party و Trivia Night وعشاءنا السنوي دفع رسوم.


سياسة الطقس المتضمنة

إذا دعت الظروف الجوية لذلك ، يمكن للجمعية إلغاء اجتماع أو حدث خاص. وإذا حدث ذلك ، فسيتم نشر إعلان بهذا المعنى بحلول الساعة 3 مساءً. في يوم الاجتماع / الحدث بعدة طرق مختلفة. سيتم نشر الإشعارات في البداية على موقعنا الإلكتروني الرئيسي sangamonhistory.org وعلى هاتفنا 217-525-1961 بحلول الساعة 3 مساءً. في يوم الاجتماع أو الحدث. يجب أن يمنحك هذا متسعًا من الوقت لتغيير الخطط. حيثما أمكن ، سنقوم أيضًا بنشر أي إشعارات إلغاء على مواقع الويب الإعلامية ونطلب بثها من خلال منافذ الإذاعة والتلفزيون المحلية.

قابل مجلس المجتمع

يحكم الجمعية مجلس إدارة يتألف من خمسة ضباط (الرئيس ، نائب الرئيس ، السكرتير ، أمين الصندوق والرئيس السابق مباشرة) وخمسة عشر مديرًا.
يتم انتخاب الضباط كل عام. يتم انتخاب المديرين لمدة ثلاث سنوات مع انتخاب ثلثهم كل عام. تجري الانتخابات في الاجتماع السنوي للجمعية في يونيو. تمتد سنتنا المالية من 1 يونيو إلى 31 مايو.


2020-2021 ضباط
الرئيس . ستيفاني مارتن
نائب الرئيس .. سوزان حلم
سكرتير . إيلين هوف
أمين الصندوق . جيري سميث
الرئيس السابق. فيكي ويتاكر

مجموعة مخرجين
مدير ، تنتهي المدة في 2023
سارة ادامز
فنسنت تشابيل
بيت هاربيسون
ماري موشيانت |
روث سلوتاج

مدير ، تنتهي فترته في عام 2022
جيني باتلز ،
كاثي ديهن ،
ماري شايفر
لاري ستون
انجي فايس

مدير ، تنتهي فترته في 2021
ماري أليس ديفيس
كاثي هوفمان
سو ماسي
دوغ بوليت
سيندا كليكنا


سانجامون الأول - التاريخ

"إن العبقرية التي تحدد الناس وبقع الأرض ، وتختارهم للذاكرة ، قد وضعت يدها على نهر سانجامون. . . . " إدغار لي ماسترز ، سانجامون

كان كتاب Masters & # 8217 جزءًا من سلسلة Rivers of America ، التي نُشرت في الأصل في الأربعينيات (إصدار Prairie State Books ، U. of I Press ، 1988). ينصب تركيز الماجستير و # 8217 بشكل حصري تقريبًا على الجزء السفلي من النهر & # 8211the & # 8220Sangamo Country & # 8221 من سبرينغفيلد عبر مقاطعة مينارد إلى نهر إلينوي & # 8211 الذي كان منزله الشاب المليء بالتاريخ الملون ولينكولن لور. يقدم الماجستير لقرائه بعض الأفكار الأوسع حول تاريخ النهر.

[اليسوعي الفرنسي بيير] شارلفوا "أطلق على سانجامون اسم Sa-qui-mont. ربما كانت الكلمة الهندية "Sau-kie-min" من "auki" و earth و "min" good. اشتقاق آخر يقال أنه من "Saukie" ، اسم Triabe هندي ، و "ong" تعني مكانًا بعبارة أخرى ، نهر Sauks. اشتقاق آخر هو "sa-gie" ، وتعني بحيرة ، و "mong" ، وتعني loon ". (8-9)

قرب نهاية عمله ، يقدم الماجستير هذه المقالة القصيرة الشعرية للنهر: "نهر سانجامون! غير صالحة للملاحة ، غير مشهورة بنشاطها التجاري ، لا تتميز بالمناظر المهيبة ، أو بالمعركة ، ولا بحدث تاريخي واحد ، لا تميز إلا بالحياة الطيبة والمفيدة التي عاشت على طول شواطئها ، وجمال مروجها التي تنام. وتزهر وتلوح بأعشابها للرياح العابرة ". (235)

سوف يستكشف هذا القسم من موقعنا على الإنترنت التاريخ الطبيعي والثقافي لجزيرة سانجامون العليا ، المستقاة من التواريخ والحسابات المحلية. في حين أن بعض التقاليد المحلية (والتجارب الشخصية!) قد تتحدى منظور الماجستير و # 8217 حول الأنهار & # 8217 & # 8220 ، فإن الافتقار إلى التميز ، & # 8221 تلك & # 8220 الحياة الجيدة والمفيدة & # 8221 التي رعتها على مر السنين هي شهادة على ذلك نفوذ دائم في هذه المنطقة.

يمتد Sangamon العلوي ، لا سيما بين Mahomet و Monticello ، على طول وجه ركام طرفي داخل بحيرة Lake Michigan Glacial Lobe ، والذي يتراوح عمره من 28000 إلى 12000 سنة مضت. خلال المرحلة الجليدية Woodfordian Substage (مرحلة ويسكونسن الوسطى) ، تقدم جليد بحيرة ميشيغان الجليدي الفص بسرعة ، تاركًا الركام الطرفي الموازي لنهر Sangamon الحديث. ركود الجليد وذاب خلف هذا الركام ، دون أن تتفوق المياه الذائبة على الركام النهائي. على طول هذا الامتداد ، يتكون الجزء الشرقي من مستجمعات المياه في Sangamon من جداول قصيرة ، بطول يتراوح من ميلين إلى ثلاثة أميال (3-5 كيلومترات) ، والتي تستنزف وجه الركام. هذا يشكل مستجمعات المياه غير المتماثلة النموذجية للأنهار التي تشكلت على طول وجه الركام النهائي.

كان النهر موطنًا للعديد من المجموعات المختلفة من الأمريكيين الأصليين في القرون التي سبقت وصول الأوروبيين. يأتي اسم النهر من كلمة Pottawatomie Sain-guee-mon (تُنطق & # 8220sang gä mun & # 8221) وتعني & # 8220 حيث يوجد الكثير من الطعام. & # 8221 في القرن الثامن عشر ، استقرت مجموعات من Kickapoo على طول نهر. في منتصف القرن الثامن عشر ، كانت المنطقة القريبة من النهر مسرحًا لصراع بين إيليني وفوكس كجزء من أكبر حروب فرنسية وإيروكوا. كان التجار الفرنسيون نشطين في المنطقة طوال منتصف القرن الثامن عشر عندما كانت جزءًا من ولاية إلينوي (المصدر: ويكيبيديا).

على عكس تأكيد Masters & # 8217 على أن النهر يفتقر إلى التمييز في المعركة ، هناك ، كما هو الحال في العديد من الأماكن ، حكايات عن الحروب الهندية. ريتشارد ل مورجان ، إن كورنسيلك وشاف من مقاطعة شامبين (لجنة Sesquicentennial لمقاطعة Champaign ، 1969) ، توضح: "وفقًا لأسطورة ، تحدى Potawatomi Kickapoo من أجل حقوق الصيد في Sangamon. ساحة المعركة كانت تسمى "المنحنى الدامي" ، جنوب ماهوميت مباشرة. تظهر هذه المنطقة باسم "نورث بيند" على خرائط 1845-1854 خمر. " (5)

إيزابيل بورنيل & # 8217 عمل شعبي ، تاريخ غير رسمي لماهوميت ، إلينوي (Mayhaven ، 2000) ، هذه المقالة القصيرة للنهر:

"لم تكن هناك قوارب كبيرة على نهر سانجامون ، لكن النهر والأخشاب وفرا منطقة من الحماية لم يكن [المستوطنين الأوائل] يتمتعون بها في المرج و. . . خشب لبناء كبائنهم وللوقود. كما صنعوا أثاثهم وأواني الطبخ والأسوار وأشياء أخرى كثيرة من خشب Sangamon. كان هناك أيضًا الكثير من صيد الأسماك والصيد واصطياد الحيوانات على طول نهر سانجامون. في الشتاء ، يتم قطع الجليد من النهر ، لتخزينه للاستخدام الصيفي. كانت هناك حانات على الجانب الشرقي والجانب الغربي من النهر. كان النهر أيضًا بمثابة منطقة ترفيهية [ل] السباحة والتخييم. . . . " (16)

التسلسل الزمني للأحداث المبكرة على طول النهر في منطقة Mahomet (مرة أخرى ، بإذن من Purnell) & # 8211

1832 رسم دانيال بورتر بلدة من 38 قطعة تسمى Middletown (في منتصف الطريق. Danville & amp Bloomington). كان الموقع بالقرب من فورد عبر النهر على طول ممر يسمى طريق بلومنجتون القديم.

1836 جمع مفوضو المقاطعة سند حانة بقيمة 5.00 دولارات من دانيال بورتر ورسوم عبّارة بقيمة 2.00 دولار من ويليام أوزبورن. تم تحديد أسعار العبّارات بستة سنتات للرجال والأبقار والخيول 25 سنتًا للخيول والعربة ثلاثة سنتات للخنازير والأغنام.

1850 تم بناء سدود على النهر من أجل طاحونة مع جذوع الأشجار التي جرفتها فيضانات الربيع وكان لا بد من استبدالها.

1851 يدير صموئيل دين وديفيد كارتر الآن العبارة بأسعار مخفضة - خمسة سنتات للرجال والخيول والثيران 15 سنتًا للخيول والعربة سنتان للخنازير والأغنام.


سانجامون الأول - التاريخ

كلير ليك تاونشيب
4260 الطريق القديم 36
سبرينغفيلد ، إلينوي 62707

الهاتف: (217) 523-4210
فاكس: (217) 523-4403
ارسل لنا عبر البريد الإلكتروني

ساعات العمل
الإثنين، الجمعة
8:00 ص - 2:00 م

مساعدة
ساعات التعيين

الثلاثاء الخميس
8:00 صباحًا - ظهرًا

مساعد المقيم
ساعات

الإثنين، الجمعة
8:00 ص - 2:00 م
اتصل مسبقا للتوافر

تاريخ Clear Lake Township

المصدر: & ldquoSunrise Over Clear Lake A Sesquicentennial Review 1 ديسمبر 1937 إلى 1 ديسمبر 1987 & rdquo بواسطة James A. Woodruff

تضم بلدة كلير ليك ، الواقعة شرق بلدة سبرينغفيلد مباشرة ، كل المنطقة (36 ميلاً مربعاً) داخل البلدة الحكومية 16 N. ، R. 4 W. ، وتتلقى اسمها من Clear Lake في القسم 22 ، بالقرب من ضفاف نهر سانجامون. البلدة مقسمة بالتساوي تقريبًا بين البراري والأخشاب ، وبما أن نهر سانجامون يتدفق قطريًا من خلالها من الجنوب الشرقي إلى الركن الشمالي الغربي ، فإن السطح يتدحرج ، وفي بعض الحالات يكون مكسورًا تمامًا. نظرًا لأنها تضم ​​Riverton ، أكبر شركة قروية داخل المقاطعة خارج Springfield ، فهي تضم ، بجوار Capital Township ، أكبر عدد من السكان في أي بلدة ريفية في المقاطعة.

كما هو موضح بالفعل من خلال مجرى نهر Sangamon من خلاله ، فإن البلدة تسقى جيدًا. يدخل Sugar Creek و the South Fork في Sangamon من الجنوب إلى North Fork (أو الفرع الرئيسي) من Sangamon بالقرب من الجزء الأوسط من البلدة ، بينما توجد روافد أخرى أصغر للتيار الرئيسي. كلير ليك عبارة عن صفيحة ضيقة من المياه يبلغ طولها حوالي نصف ميل ، في شرق سانجامون وتعمل بالتوازي مع هذا التيار. أقيمت المباني لإيواء الزوار كمنتجعات ، وهي مركز للعديد من حفلات النزهة من سبرينغفيلد والمناطق المجاورة خلال أشهر الصيف. يتم الوصول إليه عن طريق خط سيارات في الضواحي ، وخلال السنوات القليلة الماضية ، تم عقد سلسلة من حفلات Chautauquas الناجحة هناك.

كان المستوطن الأول في بلدة كلير ليك تاونشيب هو هيو ماكغاري ، الذي كان جنديًا تحت قيادة الجنرال ويليام هنري هاريسون والذي جاء عام 1820 واستقر على ضفاف بحيرة كلير. جاء شقيقه ، هاريسون ماكغاري ، في نفس الوقت تقريبًا ، لكنه بقي لفترة قصيرة فقط ، عندما عاد إلى إنديانا. جاء صموئيل دانلي في نفس الوقت الذي جاء فيه ماكغاري واستقر على بعد ميل من هيو ماكغاري.

أما الآخرون الذين جاءوا في وقت لاحق ، ولكن في فترة مبكرة ، فهم: جون سميث ، الذي كان يشغل سابقًا المكان الخاص بتوماس أ.كينج بنجامين شيري ، من تينيسي توماس ج.نوكس ، جاء واستقر في مزرعة كينج ، شغل منصب أمين صندوق المقاطعة وجامع لمدة فصل أو فصلين ، وعدل السلام لعدة سنوات ، وتوفي أخيرًا في سبرينغفيلد جاء صموئيل مكدانيلز وفيليب سميث قبل فترة & ldquodeep snow & rdquo.

آرتشر جي هيرندون ، الذي كان من مواليد مقاطعة كولبيبر بولاية فيرجينيا ، وُلد في 13 فبراير 1795 ، ووالد الراحل ويليام إتش. هيرندون من سبرينغفيلد ، كان من أوائل المستوطنين فيما يعرف الآن باسم بلدة كلير ليك ، قادمًا من مقاطعة ماديسون. ، إلينوي ، في عام 1821 ، واستقر في البراري الألمانية على بعد خمسة أميال شمال شرق سبرينغفيلد. كان تاجرًا بارزًا في سبرينغفيلد من عام 1820 إلى عام 1836 ، وخلال ذلك الوقت أقام أول حانة عادية في سبرينغفيلد ، وكان عضو مجلس الشيوخ عن ولاية سانجامون لمدة فترتين ، بما في ذلك جلسة 1836-37 ، وكان أحد & ldquoLong Nine & rdquo ، الذي كان لها دور فعال في إزالة عاصمة الولاية من فانداليا في سبرينغفيلد. كان ديمقراطيًا قويًا من جاكسون ، وكان متلقيًا للأموال العامة في مكتب الأراضي في سبرينغفيلد من عام 1842 إلى عام 1849 ، وتوفي في سبرينغفيلد في 3 يناير 1867 ، وبقيت زوجته ريبيكا هيرندون على قيد الحياة حتى 19 أغسطس 1875.

لاركين براينت ، المولود في مقاطعة وودفورد بولاية كنتاكي ، 2 نوفمبر 1800 ، تزوج من السيدة هارييت تشابمان في عام 1820 ، وبعد أن أمضى حوالي عام في مناجم الرصاص في ميسوري ، جاء في خريف عام 1821 إلى مقاطعة سانجامون ، إلينوي ، واستقر على مقربة من AG Herndon.

ولد جون شينكل في مقاطعة بيركس ، بنسلفانيا ، في عام 1873 ، وجاء عندما كان صبيًا مع والديه إلى مقاطعة براون ، أوهايو ، وهناك تزوج ماري إم شينكل ، وفي عام 1826 جاء إلى مقاطعة سانجامون ، إلينوي ، واستقر في كلير. منطقة ليك تاونشيب. توفي السيد Shinkle في العام بعد مجيئه إلى Clear Lake ، لكن أرملته ربّت أسرتها في الموقع الذي عثروا فيه لأول مرة ، وظلوا على قيد الحياة حتى سن التسعين الماضية.

استقر جون هوفر والسيد هويل وسولومون بلو وأوريا بلو على الجانب الجنوبي من نهر سانجامون في عام 1824 أو 1825 ، وكونهم من أصل ألماني ، فقد أطلق على هذا الحي اسم البراري الألمانية.

فالنتين آر مالوري ، المولود بالقرب من باريس ، كنتاكي ، 16 ديسمبر ، 1708 ، وخدم كجندي في حرب 1812 ، تزوج نانسي داوسون من مقاطعة براكين ، كنتاكي ، 28 يونيو ، 1821 ، وفي أكتوبر ، 182 ، إلى ما يعرف الآن باسم Clear Lake Township. كان برفقتهم السيدة مالوري وشقيق رسكو ، جون داوسون ، الذي ولد في مقاطعة فيرفاكس بولاية فيرجينيا ، وخدم في حرب عام 1812 ، حيث أصيب واستولى على نهر الزبيب. بعد أن احتجزه الهنود كسجين في كندا ، تم إطلاق سراحه عن طريق فدية ، وفي عام 1871 تزوج من كاري جونز في مقاطعة نيكولاس بولاية كنتاكي ، في عام 1827 برفقة صهره ف.ر. مالوري إلى مقاطعة سانجامون. كان السيد داوسون نقيبًا لشركة من مقاطعة سانغامون في انتفاضة بلاك هوك عام 1831 ممثلاً في خمس جلسات للجمعية العامة ، بما في ذلك دورة 1836-37 ، عندما كان أحد & ldquoLong Nine & rdquo ، وكان أيضًا مندوبًا عن مقاطعة سانجامون إلى المؤتمر الدستوري للولاية لعام 1847. الكرة التي تلقاها في رئتيه في معركة نهر رايسين ، لم تُستخرج أبدًا ، وكانت السبب الأخير لوفاته في 12 نوفمبر 1850.

كان صامويل ريدجواي من مواطني مقاطعة بيركلي بولاية فيرجينيا ، وُلِد في 10 مايو 1777 ، وتم نقله إلى ولاية كارولينا الشمالية وحوالي عام 1799 ، تزوج هناك من إليزابيث كاتون ، وبعد أن أمضى بضع سنوات في كنتاكي ، جاء إلى مقاطعة سانجامون ، إلينوي ، واستقر في كلير ليك تاونشيب ، حيث توفي عام 1847.

جون بلو ، المولود في ساوث كارولينا ، عام 1777 ، ابن جندي ثوري ، اصطحبه والديه في طفولته إلى مقاطعة فليمينغ ، بولاية كنتاكي ، وبعد أن أمضى حوالي سبع سنوات في مقاطعة غرين بولاية أوهايو ، جاء إلى مقاطعة سانجامون ، لتحديد موقعه. فيما يُعرف الآن بـ Clear Lake Township. ويليام فاجان ، من مواليد ولاية كارولينا الشمالية ، وُلِد عام 1777 ، وتزوج من Peninah Fruit ، وعاش لفترة في فيرجينيا ثم في كنتاكي ، في عام 1819 ، جاء إلى جنوب إلينوي ، ومن ثم في عام 1820 إلى ما يعرف الآن باسم Clear Lake Township. انتقل في العام التالي إلى بلدة بوفالو هارت ، وعاش لاحقًا في سبرينغفيلد ، لكنه توفي في مزرعته على بعد ثلاثة أميال غرب تلك المدينة في عام 1843.

ولد جيمس فرايزر ريد في مقاطعة أرماغ ، أيرلندا ، من أصل بولندي ، 14 نوفمبر 1800 ، جاء مع والدته في شبابها إلى فرجينيا وفي سن العشرين ذهب للعمل في مناجم الرصاص في إلينوي ، حيث بقي حتى عام 1831 ، عندما جاء إلى سبرينغفيلد ، إلينوي. خدم في حرب بلاك هوك عام 1832 ، ثم انخرط في الملاحقات التجارية لبعض الوقت ، ثم أسس فيما بعد مصنع أثاث على نهر سانغامون في ما كان يُسمى في البداية جيمستاون ، ولاحقًا هووليت ، والآن ريفرتون . في عام 1846 ، ذهب السيد ريد وزوجته إلى كاليفورنيا ، الواقعة في سان خوسيه ميشن ، وقاموا باستثمارات في الأرض وحققوا نجاحًا كبيرًا. كان رجل أعمال وشخصية عالية.

كان Uriah Mann أحد الشخصيات التاريخية في Clear Lake Township. وُلِد في مقاطعة براكين ، كنتاكي ، 17 سبتمبر 1810 ، وجاء إلى مقاطعة سانجامون ، إلينوي ، مع أخته آنا ، زوجة توماس أ.كينج ، المستوطن الأوائل بالقرب من كلير ليك ، الذي وصل في أكتوبر 1831 كان جنديًا في حرب البلاك هوك في نفس الفوج مع أبراهام لنكولن الذي كان صديقًا حميمًا له. تزوج إليزابيث كينج في 6 يناير 1832 ، وقام بتطوير مزرعة من خلال مؤسسته الخاصة وصناعته ، وأصبح أحد أنجح المزارعين والمواطنين المكرمين في مقاطعة سانجامون.

يقال إن أول بيت للعبادة في البلدة قد أقامه المعمدانيون في عام 1820 ، على الرغم من أن الميثوديين ، كالعادة ، كانوا من بين أوائل المبشرين في هذه المنطقة. يُقال إن آرون فانديفر كان أول قس معمداني ، في حين أن بيتر كارترايت وجيمس سيمز وريفرز كورماك كانوا متجهين ميثوديين في وقت مبكر.

معسكر بتلر ، الذي كان المركز العسكري لجزء كبير من وسط إلينوي خلال الحرب الأهلية ، والمكان الذي تم فيه حشد عدد من الأفواج خلال الحرب الأهلية ، وحيث تم حشد العشرات عند انتهاء فترة حكمهم. التجنيد ، كان يقع في Clear Lake Township على بعد ميل واحد جنوب ريفرتون ، وحوالي سبعة أميال شمال شرق سبرينغفيلد تم تسميته على شرف ويليام بتلر ، أمين صندوق الولاية آنذاك. كان مكانًا لاحتجاز أسرى المتمردين خلال جزء كبير من الحرب ، حيث كان هناك حوالي 7500 هناك في وقت قريب من مؤامرة & ldquoCamp Douglas & rdquo في يوليو 1864 ، ونتيجة لذلك ، كان لابد من الحفاظ على قوة كبيرة من قوات الاتحاد هناك لواجب الحراسة.

تقع مقبرة كامب بتلر الوطنية ، بالقرب من معسكر بتلر القديم ، على خطوط سكة حديد واباش ونظام الجر في إلينوي (بين المدن) ، على بعد حوالي ستة أميال شرق سبرينغفيلد. تحتوي المقبرة على حوالي ستة أفدنة وهي تحت رعاية الرائد جورج دبليو فورد ، الذي تم دفن رفات 729 من الاتحاد و 866 جنديًا كونفدراليًا هناك. توفر المروج المحفوظة جيدًا والمظهر العام للأراضي في جميع الأوقات دليلاً على الرعاية الفعالة التي يتولاها المشرف في أداء واجباته وحماية المقبرة.

Riverton Village & ndash Riverton هي القرية الرئيسية في Clear Lake Township ، والتي تضم أيضًا عددًا أكبر من السكان من أي قرية أخرى في مقاطعة Sangamon. تم تصميمه ورصفه في 1 ديسمبر 1837 ، وتم وصف موقعه فيما بعد بأنه & ldquothe في النصف الجنوبي من الربع الشمالي الشرقي للقسم 9 ، البلدة 16 ، النطاق 4 الغرب & rdquo. تم تسجيل اللوحة تحت اسم Jamestown ، تكريماً لـ James F.Reed ، الذي تمت الإشارة إلى تاريخه في جزء سابق من هذا الرسم التخطيطي لـ Clear Lake Township. نمت القرية ولكن ببطء حتى بعد وصول السيد ب. Howlett ، الذي أقام معمل تقطير وطاحونة مجاورة ، وفتح أيضًا هناك أول منجم للفحم في مقاطعة Sangamon. تقع البلدة على الضفة الشرقية لنهر سانجامون ، والتي تم استخدامها لتزويد المياه والطاقة البخارية.

نظرًا لوجود Jamestown آخر في الولاية ، تم تغيير الاسم إلى Howlett ، بعد اسم مروجها الرئيسي. تم تغيير هذا الاسم لاحقًا إلى Riverton ، وأصبح Jesse Sweatman أول مدير مكتب للبريد. تتكون نسبة كبيرة من السكان من موظفين في المناجم ومعامل التقطير والمطاحن ، لكن السكان قد تطوروا بسرعة ، وهناك عدد من البيوت التجارية الجيدة.

تم اكتشاف الفحم من خلال مشروع السيد Howlett الذي وظف في عام 1865 بعض الخبراء من منطقة بنسلفانيا النفطية للتنقيب عن النفط بالملل مما أدى إلى أن وريد الفحم ، بسمك ستة أقدام ، كان وصلت إلى عمق مائتي قدم ، وهذا يمثل بداية صناعة التعدين التي تطورت إلى مثل هذه النسب الهائلة في مقاطعة سانجامون.

1881 نسخة من ملفات وودروف

تتألف بلدة كلير ليك من كل البلدة السادسة عشرة شمالاً ، وتتراوح من أربعة إلى الغرب ، وقد سميت بهذا الاسم من البحيرة التي تحمل هذا الاسم ، في القسم الثاني والعشرين.

البلدة مقسمة بالتساوي تقريبًا بين الأخشاب والبراري ، وهي متدحرجة تمامًا. التربة ذات نوعية جيدة ويتم تربية محاصيل كبيرة من الذرة والقمح.

يتم إمداد Clear Lake Township جيدًا بتيارات المياه الحية. يدخل الشوكة الشمالية لنهر سانجامون في القسم السادس والثلاثين ، ويدخل الشوكة الجنوبية في القسم 33 ، ويتحد الاثنان في القسم السابع والعشرون ، ويتدفقان شمالًا ، ويخرجان من البلدة من القسم الخامس ، ولكنهما يعودان في غضون ربع ميل ، يتدفق غربًا ، ويدخل بلدة سبرينجفيلد من القسم السادس. يدخل Sugar Creek البلدة في القسم الحادي والثلاثين ، ويتدفق في اتجاه شمالي شرقي ، ويتحد مع نهر Sangamon في القسم الثامن والعشرين. كلير ليك عبارة عن صفيحة جميلة من المياه ، يبلغ طولها حوالي نصف ميل ومتوسط ​​عرضها مائتي ياردة. على ضفاف هذه البحيرة ، تقام العديد من حفلات التنزه كل صيف ، ويتم توفير القوارب للإبحار والتجديف على البحيرة.

يعبر بلدة كلير ليك خطان للسكك الحديدية هما واباش وسبرينغفيلد وشمال غرب أمريكا. الأول يدخل من سبرينغفيلد في القسم التاسع عشر ، ويمتد في اتجاه شمالي شرقي عبر قرية ريفرتون إلى القسم العاشر ، عندما يمر شرقًا إلى بلدة ميكانيكسبيرغ. الأخير من سبرينغفيلد يدخل في القسم الثامن عشر ، ويمتد شمال شرق ، ويدخل بلدة ويليامز من القسم الثاني.

استقرت البلدة لأول مرة في عام 1820 ، وكان هيو ماكغاري أول مستوطن. استقر فورًا على ضفاف بحيرة كلير. كان جنديًا عجوزًا في عهد هاريسون ، وكان رجلاً يحظى باحترام كبير ، ورجل شريف رفيع الأفق.

جاء هاريسون ماكغاري ، شقيق هيو ، في نفس الوقت تقريبًا ، واستقر في المزرعة التي يعيش فيها توماس كينج الآن ، وكان غير راضٍ ، وعاد إلى إنديانا ، من حيث أتى.

جاء صموئيل دانلي في نفس الوقت تقريبًا واستقر على بعد حوالي ميل واحد من ماكغاري. كان رجلاً خشنًا ، لكن قلبه كبير ، وكان دائمًا صديقًا للفقراء. أصبح مسيحيًا قبل وفاته ببضع سنوات ، وعاش بضمير حتى مهنته.

جاء جون سميث أيضًا مبكرًا جدًا. كان يمتلك ثروة كبيرة ، لكنه استمر بكل شيء وباع إلى توماس كينج.

جاء بنيامين شيري من ولاية تينيسي. لقد كان رجلاً صالحًا وتوفي في النهاية مسيحيًا.

جاء توماس ج.نوكس واستقر في المزرعة التي يملكها الآن جي إف كينج. كان أمين صندوق المقاطعة وجامع التحصيل لمدة واحدة أو فترتين ، عدالة السلام لعدة سنوات. مات في سبرينغفيلد.

جاء فالنتين آر مالوري في نفس الوقت تقريبًا مع الآخرين الذين سبق ذكرهم. خدم في حرب 1812. توفي قبل عدة سنوات.

جاء صموئيل مكدانيلز قبل الثلوج العميقة ، وكذلك فعل فيليب سميث أيضًا.

ولد جون ويلكوكس في ولاية ماريلاند ، على الشاطئ الشرقي لخليج تشيسابيك. توفي والديه عندما كان صغيرًا جدًا ، ولم يكتشف أمره ، هرب ، وركب سفينة شراعية ، وذهب إلى جزر الهند الغربية عائداً إلى ماريلاند ، وعندما كان عمره ستة عشر أو سبعة عشر عامًا ، ذهب مع عائلة إلى فرجينيا ، ومن هناك بالقرب من دانفيل ، كنتاكي. تزوج في مقاطعة أولدهام ، كنتاكي ، من لوسيندا أوجليسبي. ولدت في مقاطعة لودون بولاية فيرجينيا ، وانتقل والداها إلى ذلك الجزء من شيلبي الذي أصبح فيما بعد مقاطعة أولدهام بولاية كنتاكي. كان والدها ، ويليام أوغلسبي ، جنديًا في الثورة. انتقل جون ويلكوكس إلى مقاطعة ديفيدسون بولاية تينيسي ، ثم انتقل إلى مقاطعة لوغان ، وتوفي كنتاكي في عام 1823. وفي عام 1818 ، انتقلت العائلة إلى مقاطعة سانت كلير ، إلينوي ، ومن هناك إلى ما أصبح مقاطعة سانجامون ، ووصلت في خريف عام 1819 ، على بعد حوالي ستة أميال شرق المكان الذي يقف فيه سبرينغفيلد الآن ، واستقر بين أفواه جدول شوجر والشوكة الجنوبية لنهر سانجامون.

ولد آرتشر جي هيرندون في 13 فبراير 1795 ، في مقاطعة كولبيبر ، فيرجينيا ، ذهب إلى جرينسبيرج ، مقاطعة جرين ، كنتاكي ، عندما كان يبلغ من العمر حوالي عشر سنوات ، وكان هناك متزوجًا ، في عام 1816 ، من السيدة ريبيكا جونسون ، التي كان اسمها قبل الزواج. كان يوم. كان والدها جنديًا ثوريًا. أنجب السيد والسيدة هيرندون طفلًا واحدًا في كنتاكي ، وانتقلوا إلى تروي ، مقاطعة ماديسون ، إلينوي من هناك ، وانتقلوا إلى مقاطعة سانجامون ، إلينوي ، ووصلوا في ربيع عام 1821 ، واستقروا في ما يعرف الآن باسم البراري الألمانية ، على بعد خمسة أميال شمال شرق سبرينجفيلد.

كان آرتشر جي هيرندون ، الأب ، منخرطًا في الأنشطة التجارية ، من 1825 إلى 1836 ، في سبرينغفيلد ، وخلال ذلك الوقت أقام أول حانة عادية في المدينة. كان أحد & ldquoLong Nine & rdquo الذين لعبوا دورًا فعالًا في إزالة العاصمة من فانداليا إلى سبرينغفيلد ، بعد أن تم انتخابه عضوًا في مجلس الشيوخ عن الولاية في عام 1836. وكان متلقيًا للأموال العامة ، من 1842 إلى 1843 ، في مكتب الأراضي ، في سبرينغفيلد. أ.ج. هيرندون ، الأب ، توفي في 3 يناير 1867 ، وتوفيت السيدة ريبيكا هيرندون في 19 أغسطس 1875.

ولد لاركن براينت في 2 نوفمبر 1800 في مقاطعة وودفورد بولاية كنتاكي. تزوج هناك في عام 1820 من السيدة هارييت تشابمان ، التي كان اسمها قبل الزواج ثورنبيري. انتقلوا إلى مناجم الرصاص في ميسوري ، ومن هناك إلى مقاطعة سانجامون ، في خريف عام 1821 ، واستقروا في خمسة أقاليم شمال شرق سبرينغفيلد.

ولد جون شينكل في فبراير 1733 في مقاطعة بيركس بولاية بنسلفانيا ، وعندما كان طفلاً انتقل والداه إلى مقاطعة براون بولاية أوهايو. ولدت ماري إم شينكل في 12 نوفمبر 1784 في مقاطعة بيركس بولاية بنسلفانيا. في مايو 1805 ، انتقل والداها إلى مقاطعة براون بولاية أوهايو. كان جون شينكل وماري إم شينكل متزوجين في 7 نوفمبر 1805. وأنجبا عشرة أطفال في مقاطعة براون. انتقلت العائلة إلى مقاطعة سانجامون ، إلينوي ، ووصلت في ديسمبر 1826 ، فيما يعرف الآن ببلدة كلير ليك ، شمال نهر سانجامون. توفي جون شينكل في أغسطس عام 1827 في مقاطعة سانجامون ، بعد أقل من عام من وصوله إلى البلاد. His widow raised her family on the farm where they settled, and now resides there. It is three miles southwest of Dawson, Illinois. She is ninety-two years old, and has been a widow nearly half a century.

Valentine R. Mallory was born December 16, 1798, near Paris, Bourbon county, Kentucky. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was at the battle of river Thames. Nancy Dawson was born September 20, 1802, in Fairfax county, Virginia, and in 1804, was taken by her parents to Bracken county, Kentucky. V.R. Mallory and Nancy Dawson were there married, June 28, 1821. They had three children, and in March, 1827, united with the Baptist Church. They moved, in company with her brother, John Dawson, (see his name) to Sangamon county, Illinois, arriving October 22, 1827, in what is now Clear Lake township.

John Dawson was born November 24, 1791, in Fairfax county, Va. His parents moved to Bracken county, Kentucky, in 1803. He enlisted in Bracken county in the war against England in 1812, and was wounded and captured at the battle of River Raisin. After being held as a prisoner in Canada by the Indians who captured him, his friend paid a ransom for him, and he returned home. Cary Jones was born May 22, 1801, in Nicholas county, Kentucky. John Dawson and Cary Jones were married in Nicholas county, October 9, 1817. They moved to Bracken county, and then the family moved to Sangamon county, Illinois, October 24, 1827, north of the Sangamon river, in Clear Lake township. John Dawson died November 12, 1850, in Sangamon county. His widow resides on the farm where they settled in 1827. It is three miles southwest of Dawson. Mr. Dawson was Captain of company from Sangamon county in the Black Hawk war of 1881. He was elected to represent Sangamon county in the State Legislature of 1831, and &rsquo32. He was again elected in 1835, and continued by re-election, to represent the county until 1840, and was consequently one of the &ldquoLong Nile&rdquo who secured the removal of the State Capital to Springfield at the session of 1836-&lsquo7. Mr. D. was also a member of the convention that framed the State Constitution of 1848. The ball received in his lungs at the battle of River Raisin was never extracted, and was the cause of his death.

Samuel Ridgeway was born May 10, 1777, in Berkley county, Virginia, and was taken by his parents to the valley of the Yadkin river, North Carolina, when he was quite young. He was there married, about 1799, to Elizabeth Caton, who was born August 25, 1775, in Berkley county, Virginia, also. Shortly after marriage Samuel Ridgeway and wife packed all their worldly goods on one horse, and each rode another. Thus equipped, they set out for Kentucky, and settled near Stanford, the capital of Lincoln county. The family moved to Sangamon county, Illinois, arriving in November, 1829, in what is now Clear Lake township, west of the Sangamon river, and five miles northeast of Springfield. Died in 1847.

John Blue was born September 9, 1777, in South Carolina. His father was a soldier in the Revolutionary army, and was taken prisoner by the British the very day of his birth. His parents moved to Fleming county, Kentucky, when he was quite young. Elizabeth McNary was born in South Carolina, and taken by her parents to Fleming, county, Kentucky, also. They were there married about 1806. About 1823 they moved to Green county, Ohio, then moved to Sangamon county, arriving in the fall of 1830, in what is now Clear Lake township.

William Fagan was born in 1777, in North Carolina, was married there to Peninah Fruit, who was born January 29, 1774, in the same State. They moved to Virginia, and from there to Christian county, Kentucky. In 1819, they emigrated, with four children, to southern Illinois, thence to Sangamon county, arriving in what is now Clear Lake township, in 1820. They moved next year to Buffalo Hart Grove, and from there to Springfield. In 1831 they settled on a farm three miles northwest of Springfield. He died in 1843.

Uriah Mann was born September 17, 1810, in Bracken county, Kentucky. He came to Sangamon county, with his sister Anna, and her husband, Thomas A. King, arriving the first Sunday in October, 1831.

He was a soldier in the Black Hawk war, in 1832, in the same regiment with Captain Abraham Lincoln, with whom he had many a wrestling match. Uriah Mann was married January 6, 1832, in Sangamon county, to Elizabeth King. He hauled all the rails and timber for improving his farm, on a wagon constructed by himself, without any iron, the wheels being hewn each from a single piece of timber, from the largest tree he could find. His house was built by himself, of round logs. His tables, cupboard and other furniture were made from wild cherry lumber. In the absence of saw-mills he split the timber into broad slabs, fastened them into a snatch block, hewed them to a uniform thickness, and after waiting a sufficient time for them to season, worked them into his household furniture. The first meal he ate in his own house, the meat was hog&rsquos jowl, and the bread made from frost-bitten corn. He hauled the first wheat he raised for sale to St. Louis, and sold it for thirty-five cents in trade. He is now among the most successful farmers of the county.

James Frazier Reed, was born November 14, 1800, in county Armagh, Ireland. His ancestors were of noble Polish birth, who chose exile rather than submission to the Russian power, and settled in the north of Ireland. The family name was originally Reednoski, but in process of time the Polish termination of the name was dropped, and the family was called Reed. James F. Reed&rsquos mother&rsquos name was Frazier, whose ancestors belonged to Clan Frazier, of Scottish history. Mrs. Reed, and her son, James F., came to America when he was a youth, and settled in Virginia. He remained there until he was twenty, when he left for the lead mines of Illinois, and was engaged in mining until 1831, when he came to Springfield, Sangamon county, Illinois. He served in the Black Hawk war, and at its termination returned to Springfield, where he engaged in mercantile pursuits, made money, and bought a farm near the latter city. Mr. Reed was for several years engaged in manufacturing cabinet furniture at a point on the Sangamon river, seven miles east of Springfield. He employed a large number of men, and a village grew up there, which, in honor of his first name, was called Jamestown. It has since been twice changed, first to Howlett and then to Riverton, the present name. He was married, in 1834, to Mrs. Margaret W. Backenstoe, whose maiden name was Keyes, a daughter of Humphrey Keyes. Mrs. Reed had one child by her first marriage. In April, 1846, Mr. and Mrs. Reed, with many others, started overland for California Mr. Reed settled at San Jose Mission, California, and invested in land from time to time. He was among the first who tried their fortunes at gold hunting, in which he was very successful. Of Mrs. Reed&rsquos child by a former marriage-Mrs. Virginia E. Murphy writes me, in December, 1875, that she never was taught or made to feel, during Mr. Reed&rsquos lifetime, that she was a step-child or half-sister, and that he was the most loving and indulgent step-father that ever lived. So thoughtful was he of her feelings that he took occasion, after the death of her mother, to assure her of his continued affection, and that he knew no difference between herself and his own children, as she came to him with her mother, a little babe. He made no distinction between Mrs. Murphy and his own children in his will.

John Hoover, Mr. Howell, Solomon Blue and Uriah Blue, settled on the south side of the Sangamon river in 1824 or 1825. They all being of German descent, gave to the neighborhood the name of German Prairie.

The recollection of the first school in what is now Clear Lake township, by the &ldquoold settlers&rdquo of 1881, dates back to 1828. About this time there were two school houses built, one on the north, and the other on the south side of the river. Riley Jones taught the one on the south side of the river in the winter of 1828. This school house was similar to all others built in the county at the time, being of logs.

Time has changed the course of things. There are now no log school houses, but instead, the township has two brick and five frame edifices for school purposes, the total value of which is $6,600.

The first house of worship erected in the township was by the Baptists, in 1829, though the denomination was not the first to be represented in the preaching of the gospel. The Methodists were here previously, represented by that trio so often spoken of in these pages-Revs. Peter Cartwright, James Sims, and Rivers Cormack. Aaron Vandever was the first Baptist minister. There are now four church edifices in the township, Mount Zion Methodist Episcopal, on section twenty-four the Christian, on section twenty-one and the Methodist Episcopal and Catholic, in the village of Riverton.


Sangamon Ordnance Plant

Dozens of seemingly out-of-place structures dot farm fields west of Illiopolis, the last reminders of what once was one of the U.S.’s largest producers of World War II artillery ammunition.

From 1942 to 1945, the Sangamon Ordnance Plant produced 24 million artillery shells, 10 million 90mm anti-tank rounds and more than 100 million artillery and bomb fuses and boosters. The production and transportation systems were so efficiently integrated that, as the Illinois State Journal reported in 1945, fuses that left the plant’s assembly line “on Friday of one week were affixed to shells and fired at the Germans in Italy by Thursday of the next week.”

A workforce that approached 10,000 people at its peak also helped pull the Springfield and Decatur areas out of economic doldrums created by the Great Depression and the long-term decline of coal mining. More than 60 percent of those employees were women (nicknamed WOWs – “women ordnance workers”), many of whom were working outside their homes for the first time in their lives.

A concrete structure that apparently was a “change house” where workers changed into their work uniforms and bomb/explosion shelter for the Oak plant now is used for farm storage. (SCHS)

The site covered 19,200 acres in eastern Sangamon County. Virginia Walgren explained how federal officials chose the area for ammunition production in her 2013 master’s thesis, The Historic Remains of the Sangamon Ordnance Plant (excerpts from theses and interviews below have been lightly edited for punctuation):

There were several factors contributing to Illiopolis being chosen for an ordnance plant. First, its location: Illiopolis is almost exactly the center of the state, and it is located nearly half way between Springfield and Decatur, Taylorville and Lincoln. Second, available transportation: (The site) is along what was the Wabash Railroad and the Illinois Central Traction System (also known as the Illinois Terminal, or Interurban), and U.S. 36 ran through the area as well. Even though the farmland in this area is some of the richest and most productive in the world, little consideration was given to that. Rather, it was viewed as an open spot with plenty of ground to provide a safety buffer around the plant in the event of an explosion. … Ironically, that which made the land so good for agriculture was also part of what made it so desirable for munitions production: firm, level ground with ample water and nearness to rail and roads. … Farmers both locally and across the country tried to fight the locations of ordnance plants, but to no avail. The country was in need, and that need outweighed the need of the farmers.

Explosives were kept in secure ‘igloos’ (SCHS)

In fact, the Illinois State Journal reported that farmers who attended a March 13, 1942, meeting with plant developers “became very heated.”

“The land owners listened with undisguised animosity to the projects that are taking their rich lands, when, as they see it, less fertile acres are available not far away,” the Journal said. In the end, the federal government purchased 77 tracts of land, “eight of them unwillingly,” Walgren reported.

The plant originally was built as two separate operations. North of U.S. 36 was the Oak Ordnance Plant (sometimes also called the Midland plant), operated by Johnson & Johnson. The Oak plant manufactured 90mm high-explosive shells and 3-inch, 75mm, and 76mm artillery rounds. On the south side of the highway was the original Sangamon Ordnance Plant, operated by Remington Rand. Its output included bomb and artillery fuses and fuse components, along with artillery boosters and “bursters” (a burster was the heart of an incendiary round).

The two plants merged, keeping the name Sangamon Ordnance Plant and under sole management by Remington Rand, in September 1943.

Construction was a massive undertaking, requiring 15,000 construction workers, but was accomplished quickly. The project, made public in February 1942, became fully operational by March 1943.

Blast walls were all that remained in 2015 of what probably was an Assemble, Pack and Ship building (SCHS)

Over that period, Walgren reports, workers built the bulk of more than 2,000 buildings, 58½ miles of roads, and 79 miles of railroad track within the site, along with support services like wells, water systems and sewage treatment plants.

B. David McCarthy, who wrote his own master’s thesis, The Sangamon Ordnance Plant, in 1990, added the detail that roads through the property carried “appropriate wartime names”: Victory Drive, Coral Sea Road, Pearl Harbor Drive, etc.

Influx of workers

The influx of construction workers kicked off a housing shortage in nearby communities, a situation that continued until the war ended. The Illinois State Journal outlined the impact in August 1942.

But if the situation (in Springfield) is acute, the housing problem in Illiopolis itself is almost beyond conception. As one official put it, “even the park benches” are eyed longingly by the war workers. Officials said not one home in that village is available for rent.

The village has blossomed into a huge trailer camp, with townsfolk renting out almost every inch of available space for trailer use. It was estimated that about 400 trailers are located in or near the village.

A great number of trailers also are located on the fringes of Springfield, and some realtors said many more probably would come here for the duration.

Paul Hohenstein, who was a child when the plants were built, remembered that the influx of workers had another effect on his hometown. (McCarthy interviewed Hohenstein and others in 1989 as part of his thesis research.)

(T)here was five or six taverns in our little town … and they were rowdy all the time. I know there was a pool hall up above where Sam Rogers’ store is now, his antique shop, and it was quite interesting. My father allowed us to go up there and play pool, you know, and then they had pretty important people out of Decatur and from all over come up there to gamble and it was really almost like a wild west town, it was really kind of rough. You’d see drunks laying in the street in late hours and especially in the summertime, my gosh, it was going until one or two o’clock in the morning.

Some people worried that “Okies” would flood central Illinois in search of defense jobs, a fear Illinois State Journal columnist A.L. Bowen tried to squelch in a May 1942 column.

A yard in Illiopolis (Pritchett album)

From the start, he wrote, “it was the plan to draw all the employees within a radius of fifty miles, so that most of them could come from their homes and return to them each day. ...

“There will be some trailer camp population but I doubt that it will ever be large enough to be serious, either during production or after it ceases. Whatever size the trailer camp problem may assume, it can be handled and all the anticipated evils prevented.”

Bowen turned out to be right. The ordnance plants’ labor pool ultimately was concentrated in an area generally bounded by Springfield, Decatur, Taylorville and Lincoln.

On-site dormitories accommodated a relatively small proportion of plant workers – the five dorms could hold about 800 people. They paid weekly rents ranging from $3.50 each to share a room up to $5.25 for an extra-large private room. Meanwhile, the plant’s top supervisors lived in 40 two-story private homes, 20 on each of the original two plant sites. (Those homes remain as private residences today.)

Sangamon Ordnance Plant employees on the Illinois Terminal’s first special train to the plant, Sept. 2, 1942 (Courtesy State Journal-Register)

The thousands of other workers commuted from their homes, many by bus or auto, but most on special trains running on the Illinois Terminal Railroad’s old Interurban line, which paralleled U.S. 36 and the Wabash Railroad between Springfield and Decatur. In June 1942, the IT bought 55 retired wooden passenger cars from the New York City transit system, remodeled them for IT use and inaugurated the Victory Special route to and from the ammunition plants.

“The Victory Special: The lllinois Terminal and the Sangamon Ordnance Plant,” an article written by Steve Holding, Dale Jenkins and Ray Reed for the Wabash Railroad Historical Society, reported that the cars were readied quickly.

The new seating arrangement consisted of three rows of cane upholstered benches running the length of the car. Capacity was approximately 100 people, with hanging straps for standees. The cars had good lighting, ample electric heat, and were painted in standard IT tangerine orange. ...

(The first eight cars) were assigned to ordnance service, which began with the transporting of plant office staff workers on September 2, 1942. Soon after, over half of the workers at the uncompleted plants were riding the trains to work.

The first official Victory Special – 11 passenger cars and 500 riders, pulled by a red, white and blue locomotive — left Springfield’s IT station on Clear Lake Avenue at 7:45 a.m. Nov. 29, 1942. A single trip was 20 cents, while a weekly discount ticket was $1.50. The trains were exclusively for ordnance plant workers, so riders also had to carry special passes, which were checked by guards aboard the trains.

Munitions manufacture

Artillery components were manufactured on 11 “load lines” – seven on the original Sangamon Ordnance campus and four on the Oak site.

The Voice of Sangamon, the merged plant’s monthly newsletter, in March 1945 took readers step-by-step through production of a 90mm shell, including the painstaking process of loading it with TNT.

The federal government recognized the Oak Ordnance Plant with an “E” (for excellence) award in 1943 and added three stars to the flag, signifying continued high-quality work by the combined Sangamon Ordnance Plant, in 1944 and 1945.

Security and safety

Sangamon Ordnance employee badge (eBay)

The site was surrounded by barbed-wire fences. Six hundred plant security officers patrolled the perimeter in cars and on horseback, and employees had to show badges to enter the plant.

Inside the fences, safety precautions required load-line workers to change into coverall uniforms and wear specially designed shoes. McCarthy detailed some of the required measures.

In a facility where dangerous explosives were handled as a part of nearly every stage of manufacturing, safety was the prime concern for all employees. Precautions were taken to eliminate sparks which might set off an explosion. Workers were not allowed to wear jewelry and women were not allowed the use of hair pins or bobby pins. Searches were conducted before workers were allowed on the job. Matches were forbidden in the production areas.

Each worker was outfitted with a special pair of safety shoes which had rubber and graphite soles and heel plugs to bleed electricity from the body to the ground. … The shoes were designed to be black with brown toes so that guards could tell at a glance if workers were wearing the proper safety footwear. ...

Two types of plastic non-sparking glasses were provided for those who wore glasses. … The only items that workers were allowed to carry onto the line were: handkerchiefs, wallets, wooden pencils, glasses and gum.

The precautions were effective. Despite the millions of shells that went through the plant, only two people died as the result of production line incidents. (At least four others were killed in other accidents in or near the plant, including one man whose body was found in the debris of a dormitory that was destroyed by a fire in January 1944.)

There were other hazards besides explosions, including “powder poison,” the result of handling TNT powder. Lila Roese of Springfield discussed her case of powder poison with McCarthy in an interview.

It was terrible, you turned yellow. Just as yellow as yellow could be and orange, your hair turned orange, and your whole body that was exposed to the powder turned yellow. And I laid for a week, well, I went to work every day, but I was a week in the hospital out there. A car would pick me up and take me up to the hospital and keep me. All the veins in my face came to the surface and it was terrible. ...

You could tell when you went anywhere, you could tell who was working in the powder because they all turned the same color.

Promotion for skin cream (The Voice of Sangamon)

The long-term cure for powder poisoning was simply to move to a different ordnance job. The condition was caused by skin contact with TNT, which was difficult to prevent even with protective clothing, gloves and masks. The February 1945 edition of The Voice of Sangamon, without ever quite mentioning powder poison, encouraged workers to use Fend-O, a cream that, the article said, “acts as a film and prevents toxic dust from contacting the skin.” (A related product, Fend-X, was recommended to prevent skin irritation and promote smoother skin.)

Hiring and morale

Recruiting and keeping employees was a struggle during the plant’s entire existence, and recruitment personnel had to be imaginative. The plant actively sought teachers, students and farmers to work seasonally, and people who could fit it into their schedules were encouraged to take on four-hour shifts at the ordnance plant after finishing their regular workdays elsewhere (McCarthy says this was mainly an option for residents of Decatur, which was much closer than Springfield to Illiopolis). And a “twin worker” program even allowed two employees to split a single job assignment, working alternate days.

A typical newspaper advertisement in January 1944 (ad below courtesy SJ-R) aimed mainly at women, was headlined “What Can I Do?” It promised “excellent wages” with overtime, paid vacations, group insurance, free medical service, “good meals served at our Company’s Cafeteria at low cost,” free uniforms and safety shoes, a “large well-supervised nursery to care for children while you work,” and “pleasant associates in a large modern war plant.”

The plant also needed 200 “husky and able bodied men” for heavier jobs, the ad noted, but in a nod to the difficulty of finding qualified workers, added, “persons now engaged in essential war work should not apply.”

Base pay for a trained worker was 75 cents an hour, McCarthy found.

The most innovative employee benefit may have been the nursery school/daycare facility that was added to one of the dorms in September 1943. In his thesis, McCarthy reported that a staff of six cared for 50 children (ages 2-14) during day shifts five days a week.

Today this arrangement would not seem so unusual with many employers providing some form of daycare facilities. In the 1940s, though, this was described as a “unique setup, not common in connection with industries over the country.”

The facilities, which were housed in the north dormitory on the south side, included: sleeping rooms, dining rooms, a modern kitchen, a music room, and an outdoor playground. A ninety foot indoor playroom was also available with play equipment. The outdoor playground was fenced and had slides, teeter-totters, sandboxes, and outdoor toys. In addition to lunch, children at the center were given a mid-morning snack of milk and cookies.

The center was often used as an enticement for mothers to come to work at the plant. Although difficult to prove, the availability of child care must have proved attractive to many women.

Morale-boosters included plant newsletters – prior to the merger of the two plants, the Oak Ordnance Plant’s own newsletter was The Acorn. The monthly publications included feature articles, safety suggestions, war bond solicitations, articles on plant procedures and management, and humor. But their heart was chatty reporting on employee milestones – awards, weddings, military enlistments and promotions, and general gossip.

Sports were a big part of the plants’ recreation programs, with softball, basketball, bowling and other intra-employee competitions held in Springfield and Decatur as well as on-site. Results were prominently reported in the newsletters.

The Oak plant also had a recreation building “equipped with record players, radio, comfortable lounging chairs, motion picture equipment and games,” the Illinois State Journal’s Beulah Gordon wrote in August 1943, and even a plant orchestra, “which furnishes music for most of the dances (and) appears periodically in the main cafeteria where employees provide various types of entertainment.”

The cafeteria/coffee shop building could accommodate almost 500 people in a single sitting. Ten physicians and 25 nurses worked in the site hospital, which included X-ray equipment.

Sometimes, Sangamon Ordnance workers would get a direct reminder of the effect they were having on the war. In early 1945, Bernice Harris of K Line, who had written her name on one of the fuses she worked on, received a letter signed by 13 soldiers with the Belgium-based 2nd Gun Section. Reprinted in The Voice of Sangamon, it said:

While we were in Luxembourg hitting a part of the Nazi counter-attack, we ran across a fuze with your name and also that of a fellow worker (Bud Rahey) on it. That was the day before Xmas, so we decided to save it for the next day, and present it as a gift to the Nazis from the both of you. Sure enough, the next morning our R.O. (reconnaissance officer) … spotted some enemy activity in a wooded area and called for a battery concentration of fire. The first round out of our gun that day carried your signature on the fuze.

The Germans have well learned to respect our artillery, and I know it will make you feel proud to know that one of your pieces of work landed on the Krauts as a Christmas greeting.

Minority workers

Loading shells into cartons on Line A (“A Shell Is Born,” The Voice of Sangamon)

Some plant photographs show African-Americans working on production lines and in some skilled maintenance posts, and there was at least one black security officer. However, newsletters and other sources make it clear that, as in 1940s society in general, most black employees at the ordnance plant were relegated to low-level service jobs.

The janitorial and dormitory housekeeping staffs were virtually all black. In the cafeteria, while all the “busgirls” were black, cooks and food handlers were nearly all white. Administration and clerical personnel were nearly all, perhaps exclusively, white.

The biggest influx of black workers took place in early 1944, when 400 members of an African-American Army unit from Camp Ellis were assigned to Sangamon Ordnance for two weeks of training in ammunition handling.

Not surprisingly, there seem to have been no African-American supervisors, even in areas where blacks made up all the lower-level workers. (For that matter, while some white women did reach supervisor status, white men made up the bulk of supervisory personnel, and all the top plant executives were white men.)

The Sangamon Ordnance Plant was declared “surplus” on Sept. 6, 1945, two weeks after V-J Day. Although some areas had to be decontaminated first (chemical residues continued to be found in some sites around the former plant for decades), most of the property was put up for sale.

Many of the plant’s frame buildings were sold at fire-sale prices and relocated (Walgren includes a list in her paper) or demolished for scrap. The earliest facilities at what is now Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport included a half-dozen former ordnance structures. The Auburn School District bought an “auto shelter” for $11.

Previous owners of farmland got the first opportunity to buy the land back, at a discounted price that reflected the damage the land had suffered and the need to remove unneeded structures, foundations, gravel roads, etc. If a landowner or tenant chose not to return, farms were offered to war veterans via lottery. Claire Pritchett described her husband’s purchase of a small farm through the veterans’ program.

What we paid for it I have no idea, I really don’t, but it was a very small amount comparatively, they really did not cheat you when they were selling the ground back. … (T)he house that we received from it you could not go in and live, of course, it had been sitting empty with broken windows and such as this during the time and the people left it dirty. I mean, we started in with a scoop shovel. It was a framework and that was about the extent of it. Well, we put in windowpanes, not new windows, and we have an eight-room home with a basement and a walk-in attic, so there’s a lot of house there but basically we had to do an awful lot of work. And there was no running water and no electricity.

Dora Welch, one of McCarthy’s 1989 interviewees, recalled that her brother-in-law was able to repurchase his family’s property off the Mount Pulaski/Welch Road. “He was so happy when he got the land back that he got down and kissed it.”

Industrial buyers included DeKalb Inc., which bought land and buildings to raise chicks and for seed corn production, and American Polymer Co., which opened a plant on the old south side of the ordnance site. Borden Chemical bought that property in 1953 and greatly upgraded and expanded the facilities to produce plastic polymers.

Damage from the Formosa Plastics explosion, 2004 (U.S. Chemical Safety Board)

Formosa Plastics, in turn, bought out Borden in 2002. However, a massive explosion of polyvinyl chloride on April 23, 2004, killed five people, seriously injured three others, and wrecked the plant. Few traces of the facility remained in 2015.

When Walgren completed her study in 2013, only 159 of the 914 buildings she had mapped were still standing in good condition another 89 were standing, but dilapidated. By 2015, another dozen structures had been totally removed. (Note that the vast majority, if not all, ordnance buildings that remain are on private property and not accessible by the public.)

“The remaining portions of the site … contain none or very little surface evidence to show what had once stood there,” Walgren wrote.

Pride in victory

Writer James Krohe Jr. wrote about the Sangamon Ordnance Plant and its workers for Illinois Times in 1976:

The men and women who populated the city in the bean fields felt themselves soldiers, albeit soldiers of a different sort than the ones who killed and were killed by the shells and bombs they helped make. They understood, historians would only come to realize later, that it was America’s factories that won the war—and they were proud of it.

McCarthy’s interviewees, however, were more down to earth.

“All the farmers, my mother even, went to work on the line,” said John Lyon, an ordnance plant security guard who eventually farmed some of the land. “There was no other jobs right around at the time, only this one, and this was the most essential job, and we all went to work at it.…

“We didn’t get mad because the government took our land, because we didn’t want the Japanese to take it.”

More information: You can download a .pdf of Walgren’s thesis by following the Dropbox link in the fourth paragraph of this entry. McCarthy’s thesis is available at Lincoln Library in Springfield, and both theses can be read at the Illiopolis/Niantic Public Library in llliopolis.

The Wabash Railroad Historical Society article is available at the Illiopolis library. That library also possesses a large scrapbook containing laminated news articles about the Sangamon Ordnance Plant and related issues it was compiled by the late Ruth Pritchett, who herself worked at the plant.

Both libraries have some copies of The Acorn و The Voice of Sangamon, including the March 1945 صوت that contained “A Shell Is Born.”

Illinois State Journal coverage of the plant is available through Lincoln Library. Transcripts of McCarthy’s 12 interviews can be read through the Illinois Digital Archives: search for “Sangamon Ordnance Plant Project.” Other sources are linked above.

Hat tip: To Virginia Walgren, for directing me to her thesis and for her help in identifying remaining structures.

Original content copyright Sangamon County Historical Society. You are free to republish this content as long as credit is given to the Society.Learn how to support the Society.


Illinois Natural History Survey - University of Illinois

The major natural features of the Sangamon River RRA are the forest tract at Robert Allerton Park and the Sangamon River. The area is highly agricultural. This RRA is relatively small.

LANDCOVER : Nearly three-fourths of the Sangamon River RRA is cropland, the highest percentage among the RRAs. Fourteen percent of the RRA is grassland and 10% is wooded. Upland and bottomland wood percentages are moderately low. This site has the lowest acreage and lowest percentage of nonforested wetlands of the RRAs there are only 49 acres of nonforested wetland identified in this site.

NATURAL AREAS : The two Natural Areas are Robert Allerton Park and the Sangamon River.

BIOLOGICALLY SIGNIFICANT STREAMS : A 15.5 mile stretch of the Sangamon River is designated as a BSS stream.

HERITAGE SITES : There are eight Heritage sites in this RRA representing four communities types, three animal species, and one large forest tract.

STATE AND FEDERAL LAND : No state or federal land occurs in this RRA.

NATURE PRESERVES : No Nature Preserves occur in this RRA.

NATURAL DIVISIONS : This RRA lies entirely within the Grand Prairie Natural Division.

SUMMARY OF SITE CHARACTERISTICS: SIZE, BIOLOGIC RESOURCES, AND PUBLIC LANDS


Sangamon I - History

Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy

This Site is Available for Adoption

Our goal is to help you track your ancestors through time by transcribing genealogical and historical data for the free use of all researchers.

We're looking for folks who share our dedication to putting data online and are interested in helping this project be as successful as it can be. If you are interested in joining Genealogy Trails, view our Volunteer Page for further information and then contact us
(Enough knowledge to make a basic webpage and a desire to transcribe data is required)

We need help with contributions of your data, history and stories to make this a great site for research!
Everything is helpful: Obituaries, Biographies, County History, Census Records, Family Bible Records, to name a few. We do not put gedcoms or family trees online - we're looking for the transcribed data from the ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS that you used to put your tree together.

As data becomes available, we'll put it on this site. Information will be posted as fast as we can find, type and/or receive it. It helps immensely if you can transcribe whatever you're sending us (rather than sending us a scanned picture to type from)

We have an easy form to
Submit an Obituary

Send other types of data directly to US

We welcome your feedback, comments, and your data contributions.

We regret that we are unable to perform personal research for folks.
All data we come across will be added to this site.
We thank you for visiting and hope you'll come back again to view the updates we make to this site.

If you would like to be kept informed of our state and county website updates, subscribe to any or all of our mailing lists
Sangamon county is covered under our original Illinois Trails mailing list.


State Capitol at Springfield
Submitted by Bill and Karen Miller

Cities and Towns
* Auburn * Berlin * Buffalo * Cantrall * Chatham * Clear Lake
* Curran * Dawson * Divernon * Grandview * Illiopolis * Jerome * Leland Grove *
Loami * Mechanicsburg * New Berlin * Pawnee * Pleasant Plains * Riverton * Rochester *
Sherman * Southern View * Spaulding * Springfield * Thayer * Williamsville

Unincorporated communities
* Andrew * Archer * Barclay * Bates * Bissell * Bolivia
* Bradfordton * Breckenridge * Buffalo Hart * Cimic * Devereux
* Farmingdale * Glenarm * Ildes Park Place * Lowder * New City
* Old Berlin * Riddle Hill * Roby * Salisbury * Sicily * Toronto


Note: Content for the Abbreviated History has been taken from UIS Archives/Special Collections.

  • Governor Richard Ogilvie signed into law Public Act 76-131, the bill creating Sangamon State University. At that time, the Central Illinois Committee for Higher Education was formed to raise funds and acquire land for the new University.
  • Dr. Robert C. Spencer began work as its first president. on the Archives/Special Collections website.

“A surveyor’s stake, standing in the furrowed ground of an Illinois prairie, announces that the co-ordinates of plan upon plan, meeting upon meeting, drawing upon drawing, and survey upon survey have focused on this as the point around which all the activities of a new university will revolve.”

– From the Long Range Development Plan, Sangamon State University, by architects Murphy, Downey, Wofford & Richman, 1970.

List of site sources >>>


شاهد الفيديو: جميع حكام مصر عبر العصور (ديسمبر 2021).